Monday, November 9, 2009

talking point #8

Anyon

1."Once or twice a year there are science projects. The project is chosen and assigned by the teacher from a box of 3-by-5-inch cards. On the card the teacher has written the question to he answered, the books to use, and how much to write. Explaining the cards to the observer, the teacher said, "It tells them exactly what to do, or they couldn't do it." "

This is sad to only have 2 or 3 science projects a year. Most schools will do them once a week. The other sad part is that the teacher feels like they have to do everything for the student. Without the teacher, the student would be useless? Yes to a certain extent but they are not as dumb and helpless as this teacher feels like they are. They have common sense and can figure some things out.

2. "Only three times did the investigator hear a teacher in either working-class school preface a directive with an unsarcastic "please," or "let's" or "would you." Instead, the teachers said, "Shut up," "Shut your mouth," "Open your books," "Throw your gum away-if you want to rot your teeth, do it on your own time." Teachers made every effort to control the movement of the children, and often shouted, "'Why are you out of your seat??!!" "

I would hate to see this in a class room. You get kindness by giving kindness. I would not be surprised if these students give the teacher a hard time everyday. When you respect your students they will respect you. There is a fine line of discipline and kindness that a teacher needs to find. If you are too nice of a teacher then your students might walk all over you. If you are too mean and are always yelling, your students will not like you as much and give you a hard time. It might be hard to find but it needs to be done or even attempted to create a happy classroom.

3. "On an occasion when a child did not maintain control, the teacher said, "When you're up there, you have authority and you have to use it. I'll back you up.""

This is the type of teacher that I want to be. I want my students to know that I will support them when I can. I like teachers that you feel comfortable with and want to ask them questions. With a good relationship comes good learning. If you can talk to a teacher and understand them and they can understand you, then there will be a good atmosphere to learn in in the classroom. Every time I have had a teacher that i have liked, they have respected me and felt like a friend. I was not embarrassed to speak in class or ask them for some extra help.

I liked reading this article because it made me realize how I want to teach and what to do to gain the kind of respect from my students that I would want. I also didn't really like it because it made me upset that teachers would actually talk to their students like that. I never want to be like that or want any of my children having teachers like that. No one should be treated like that when they are trying to learn and better their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment